I don’t know about you, but I think dressing for the cold weather is fun! It’s all about protecting yourself from the breeze, and we all know wearing a tiny statement dress as you freeze your toes off is not classy at all. Enjoy playing dress up as you layer and layer. Here are some tips to get you going.
1. KEEP IT TIGHT. Tight-fitting clothing will help prevent the breeze. Swap wide-leg jeans or palazzo pants for skinny jeans, which also help visually balance out oversize knit sweaters and chunky boots. You can also wear fleece-lined tights or leggings under long skirts and dresses to keep your legs warm.
2. EMBRACE LONG COATS. Cropped puffers might be trendy, but if your aim is to stay warm, you need to keep your entire torso covered. Make sure you have at least one long sweater and coat for the coldest days.
3. PAIR SWEATERS WITH SKIRTS. Try a chunky knitted sweater with a knee length pencil skirt looks trendier than you may think. Looser maxi and midi skirts work with sweaters, too, especially cropped sweaters that meet at the waist band. You can also layer under some stockings to protect your legs from the cold.
4. INVEST IN WOOL. Wool is guaranteed to keep you warm all day. Try a simple turtleneck, cardigan or comfy beanie.
5. ACCESSORISE FOR WARMTH. Pull out your hat, gloves, and scarf as accessories. If you frequent certain coats, you can switch things up with a variety of colours, prints and fabrics.
6. BOOTS ARE LIFE! Invest in a great pair of knee-length or thigh-high boots to keep your feet and legs warm through the day, irrespective of what you are wearing.
7. WEAR SWEATPANTS. Athleisure is a thing now, right. Try various sweatpants during this weather as you stay indoors or run errands. They guarantee comfort and warmth while still maintaining a stylish look.
PRO TIP: Avoid cotton. Cotton is an amazing, breathable material but it holds a lot of water, and lets in a the breeze, making it less ideal for cold weather.